What is Ludi Lunt?
Ludi Lunt is a hackathon style event looking to find ways to help revive the appeal of the historic Lunt Roman Fort in Baginton just outside Coventry
Be part of this unique opportunity to spend a weekend with other creative people at this amazing location, devising ways to improve the visitor experience, reveal more of the site’s fascinating past and breathe new life into this cultural gem.
Ludi Lunt will run from 6pm on Fri 5th September 2014 to 4pm on Sunday 7th September
The aims of the Ludi Lunt event are broad ranging and include
- To generate new ideas that will bring the Lunt to life and re-establish it as a major Roman visitor attraction in the Midlands/UK
- Create something beyond traditional visitor attraction expectations
- Improve the profile of the Lunt
- Provide a better visitor experience
- Encourage more visitors
- Increase the number of return visits to the Lunt
- Encourage visitors to make greater use of the site’s facilities
- Make the Lunt something that will be talked about by people who have visited in a positive light
- Be innovative in its approach to user experience and enjoyment
- Appeal to all ages
We’re looking for a wide range of people to join us at Ludi Lunt.
By combining the ideas, skills and experiences of a diverse set of people, we hope that the weekend will spark a novel, interesting and exciting ideas for ways to bring the Lunt Fort and its rich history back to life and make it more accessible to a wider range of visitors.
So who are we looking for? We’re looking for people with experience in the following areas:
- Artists and illustrators
- App-makers and coders
- Designers (physical, digital and web)
- Social media whizzes
- Sound creatives
- Social entrepreneurs
- Community folk and community leaders
- Education professionals
- Craftsmen (modern and historic)
- Museum, visitor attraction and heritage students.
This list is by no means exhaustive. If you think you have something to offer then please do contact us.
As you can see, this is a wide and varied list – and very deliberately so. We are not just looking for flashy, high tech solutions, though those are clearly very much up for grabs!
- Personal challenge
- Collaboration, exchange and sharing of ideas, knowledge and experiences
- Learning and self-development
- Opportunity to be creative and “play” in a unique location
- Potential for commission
- Opportunity to implement your idea(s) – not just at the Lunt but also within Culture Coventry
- Win one of the prizes
- Enjoy the unique opportunity to camp in a Roman fort
- To have fun
Culture Coventry, the organisation that runs and looks after the Lunt Roman Fort is looking to revitalise this historical gem. There is already a long term plan to improve the facilities on the site and make visits more interesting, but we are looking for even more ideas that could help make visits more fun and appealing to a wide range of audiences.
We hope that through the Ludi Lunt hackathon, a range of ideas, concepts and projects will be presented that can be successfully implemented at the site. From very simple short term solutions to longer term, more complicated (and likely more expensive) projects, we are looking for
- Sustainable ideas
- Creative ideas to supplement / support the revitalisation of Lunt Roman Fort
- Creative uses of technology
- Scalable ideas that could be used elsewhere
- Ideas that can work beyond the Lunt and potentially at other Culture Coventry attractions
What will it cost me?
- There is no charge for participating in Ludi Lunt
- Tent, clothing, any kit (tech or otherwise) you may want to use during the event
- Ludi Lunt website: www.ludilunt.co.uk
- Twitter account: @ludilunt
- Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LudiLunt
- Linked-In page: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=7404655
- Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/2435101@N22/
- YouTube channel: [coming soon]
- Bambuser [coming soon]
- Pinterest [coming soon]
- Sharing platform [coming soon]
- Food and refreshments will be provided. Once your place is confirmed we will send an email to confirm any specific dietary requirements
What about accommodation?
- Participants are welcome to bring tents to camp on the site (free of charge) and we anticipate that most people will go for this option.
- If you fancy more creature comforts or if the idea of camping within the walls of a Roman Fort doesn’t float your boat, there are B&Bs, guest houses and hotels nearby (at your own cost)
- We will be arranging for sufficient standard 240V power and electrical outlets for participants to plug computers, phones, tablets etc
- We are also arranging for wifi coverage over the weekend.
- Mobiles do work around the site and there is even 4G coverage on the EE network, so if you have the ability to share your connection please help us out
- An exhibit or an improvement to an existing exhibit
- An app, a website or improvement to the existing website
- A series of videos, a “how things were done” guide, an augmented reality experience
- A re-creation of some Roman activities
- Ideas that bring the Lunt Fort to life
- Ideas for families and children that will increase engagement
- Further development opportunities
- Better interpretation/live interpretation
- Ideas for partnership working/traditional craft businesses located on site?
Even a well worked out idea would be a perfectly good outcome of the weekend
The final presentation could be any of the following
- a completed piece of work
- a model or prototype
- a proof of concept
- in the case of a more substantial idea, a well fleshed out idea/plan/proposal
In terms of scale / cost / timing, the idea could be Implementable and usable immediately or need longer to make happen. Short, medium and long term ideas are all good…we really don’t want to stifle idea generation!